Preview of finished look: Shirt with studs, sleeve/cuff with cufflink, and bottom left-hand corner, the pique fabric I'm going to use for my waistcoat.
Most of my project supplies
I went shopping and found a number of items for this waistcoat project. First I got two patterns, (on sale, which is brilliant!) then I got fabric and some notions. I will return to the store to get buttons when all is put together, so I have an idea of scale. I'll probably get mother of pearl buttons (with shanks, so the thread is not visible) like a British white-tie waistcoat would have, as I don't know how to make self-faced buttons (as American waistcoats do). I was considering using studs, but I think it will be more cost-effective to buy the mother of pearl buttons.
My original goal was to have finished this already, but I had forgotten that I had to work on Saturday this week for a special project at the office (we don't normally work on weekends) and then I ended up being up so long yesterday that I slept most of today. My goal now is to have this finished by the next time I need it. :)
Samples of fabric... I am also considering making a bow tie...
Fabric for final waistcoat: lining, fusible interfacing, pique fabric for outside.
I am going to make a test waistcoat first, so I don't ruin the nicer fabric: lining, fusible interfacing, and muslin.
Thread and needles